Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Whim.

I've yet to discover the secret that some people possess, of being able to sit down to their instrument, and improvise something wonderful at whim.  Since I started this whole thing, there have been very few days where I've really felt like I had control over the artistic merit of what I was trying to do... and very many days where my total lack of focus produced exactly what I thought it would: total crap.  How do people do it?  When I'm exhausted, there's almost nothing I can attempt to pull my head into semblance.  Is there something I'm not catching on to?  Or is it more like the performance thing, where just being there onstage in front of an audience gives you that automatic ultra focus?  I wouldn't know the answer to that yet, since I've never actually improvised in front of people.  Anyone wish to weigh in?

Here we go, Day 254: https://ia600303.us.archive.org/32/items/Improv42412/20120424210358.mp3

2 comments:

  1. Artistic merit is always up for debate so it's something for another conversation IMO.

    However, I think what you're asking about comes down to having a musical language to draw from and understanding it ways that allows you to manipulate and/or have some control over where it's going. It's a vast topic but I'd start by asking some questions: Do you "practice" improvising? or do you practice language associated with improvising? or do you practice using the language you grew up playing (ie. classical music) and applying it to improvising? If you don't practice this stuff, you can only get lucky so often. I'd say that if you do practice it regularly, I think you stand a better chance of creating your own luck.

    It also sounds like you're looking to elevate the quality of the "lower end" of what you do...or more appropriately: not necessarily trying to play "better" but to suck less. Language is a good place to start I think.....that play when you're less tired-but that might be pointing out the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and play when you're less tired". Please excuse the typo

      Delete