Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Might.

I walk the streets of New York, and one of my most favorite things is my anonymity, but I think that what I like about the anonymity is that it means if someone notices me, I might be that much more special, because no one is supposed to notice anyone else on a crowded street.

I want to be, and have always wanted to be, the exception to the rule.  Since my first memories....  Really, truly.  I picked piano at age five, for example, because my brother and sister both played violin.  And even though I had already started violin lessons and really loved it and wanted both, I told my mom I would play piano, because no one else in the family did it.  Little did I know at the time that it was the most popular instrument outside of the family.

I've never allowed anyone to tell me what I could or could not be; to put limitations on my capabilities in any regard.  And that's not to say I'm limitless, because I certainly conjure plenty of doubts for myself, and fully understand that I'm not a superhero, nor am I anywhere close to one.  But it's funny... when I'm told "no," or "you can't," I always seem to react with an, "Oh, yeah?"  I'm sure my parents would attest to this with strong affirmation, obedient as I was in childhood.

Leading a defiant life must carry a price.  But to be honest, I haven't yet discovered what that price might be.  And a big part of me thinks, happily, that I might never find out.

Here we go, Day 240: https://ia800306.us.archive.org/4/items/Improv41012/20120410203250.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment