Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The doll.

Today's improv is about a weird doll.

A little boy and his sister are playing.  He teases her about her favorite doll, and she becomes bashful.  She sits her doll on a shelf while they play.

Mom comes to make them do chores.  Terrible!  The boy, an obstinate little one, whines and argues.  His sister does as she's told, and goes to help her mother.  Left alone, the boy enters his own world of imagination.

He plays a game of soldiers, imitating them as they march along.  But... !  Out of the corner of his eye, he sees the shelved doll move.

...

I'm not really sure where the subject matter of this came from.  It just floated into my head during a prior improv, and I thought it might be a good storyline to follow.  Or... maybe it came from my google search last night for "weird russian movies."  Which came from seeing the Mezhrabpom: The Red Dream Factory movie exhibition announcement in the April issue of the MoMA calendar.  Anyway, all our mental images come from somewhere, right?

Here we go, Day 233: https://ia800307.us.archive.org/26/items/Improv4312/20120403213735.mp3



These aren't all actually from weird Russian films.  But some of them are.  The first one I found on a site about "weird movies," which happened to also have, next in line, a movie called Carnival of the Souls.  I had watched it with my family on Christmas a few years ago on Dad's recommendation.  Super weird.  I mean, it IS CALLED, Carnival of the Souls.  That is Christmas in the Prescott household.  And really, I don't think that any of my friends would be surprised by this new information.

The second one actually doesn't look weird at all... and I'm pretty sure it's from a masterpiece that I don't know.

The third one looks completely weird.  I don't have any information about it, except it looks like he's being strangled by a brain and spinal column.

This last one is Polish.  From the film, The Saragossa Manuscript.  I thought the still was cool, so I grabbed it, but in fact, I know nothing about this except that apparently, Scorsese and Coppola were both fans.  However, I could endorse anything right now, right here, by anyone.  Here.  Let me try.... 

You know who loved donuts?  Robert Louis Stevenson loved donuts.  Not the fluffy, yeast based ones, but cake donuts.  The kind that are a little bit more dense, and if they're done especially well, the outside has a slight crispiness.  He really, really liked those.  So much, in fact, that he wrote a poem about them.  The poem was lost, however, in a fire that, ironically, started when his wife had attempted to make some donuts for Stevenson all by herself.  When Stevenson came home with his poem in hand, he discovered that his wife really did not know him at all!  Furious and deeply hurt that she had been deep frying yeast based donuts instead of his beloved cake donuts, Stevenson crumpled the poem into a little ball and threw it at her with all his might.  He tossed up the handle on the pot of hot oil, causing it to splatter all over the stove.  The oil began to burn immediately, and it was not long before their entire home and the donut poem were a mass of charred ashes. 

Isn't that a sad story?  But now you probably believe that Robert Louis Stevenson was really into donuts.  When in fact, I don't even know if donuts existed back then.  But guess what!  Robert Louis Stevenson is the inventor of donuts.  Do you know how many people are going to fact check that?  None.  That's how many.  None.  Thank you, Mr. Internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment