Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vocabulary.

I had about fifteen extra minutes tonight to actually "practice" some improvisation.  This consisted mainly of running through three different dorian scales and arpeggios, and then playing a few lines with them.  Then I did my recorded improv for the day.  Then I played some Brahms. 

It's funny that, even though Brahms is one of the hardest composers for me, it seemed 200 times easier after I did those improv exercises.  It was like being in a foreign country for a few weeks by myself, and then meeting up with an english-speaking friend.  Have you ever done that?  It's like, "Fwewwww!! Now I can relax, and say all the things that I've been wanting to say, but couldn't express."  Kind of a cool feeling.  And of course I have always loved traveling, but after a while, it can be a little bit lonely and isolating to be in a place for a long time without understanding what's being said all around you.

They say that when you learn a new word, you have to use it at least three times in context before you can really integrate it into your vocabulary.  I wonder if that's the same with musical language....

Here we go, Day 160: https://ia600809.us.archive.org/4/items/Improv12112/1_21_129_16Pm.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment