Friday, January 20, 2012

Pencil shavings.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, but for the love of all that is holy, do not listen to today's improv.  Thanks.  The one and only reason it exists in public is because of a stupid sense of duty that I have to post something every day, lest I break an obligation to myself.  Good God, I could not pull it together today.

And on to other things now, Restaurant Week has begun, and my day one was quite good: Dovetail.  My prix fixe: butternut squash soup (had pleasantly crunchy little pumpernickel cubes, and apricots, pumpkin seeds, and then some mousse-like "thing" with cloves and nutmeg), then duck confit, which was good, but in my fully honest opinion could have had a little bit more of the accoutrements, and slightly less of the confit, so that every bite could've been a "well-built" one.  Finally, a semi-sweet chocolate i-don't-know-what-you-call-it soft square thing... more or less ganache, with orange bits and sauce, and a little dollop of cinnamon ice cream (which I LOVE).  All in all, a beautiful meal.  My tasting partner had the complimentary choices, which were a braised lamb app (very tasty indeed, probably my favorite of the entire spread), hangar steak with some amazing mushrooms (steak was just okay), and a passion fruit sorbet with passion fruit molded mousse thing, topped with little black sesame meringues.  There was also a smear of "pencil" on that plate, which, upon realizing what I was tasting, caused me to burst out in unbridled laughter.  Yup.  I love restaurant week.  4 more reservations to go.

In fact, it was such an unexpectedly bizarre flavor, I kind of wish I could taste it again.

Here we go, Day 158: https://ia700808.us.archive.org/8/items/Improv11912/1_19_129_59Pm.mp3

2 comments:

  1. In Lewis's Perelandra, the heavenly taste of fruits on that planet was so complete the first time that tasting it again would be vulgar. The way you described your exploit makes me think of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I follow your advice and did not listen to today's improv.

    ReplyDelete