Thursday, September 8, 2011

Passacaglia.

One of my favorite pieces is the Ravel Piano Trio.  It is utterly exquisite.  I once had a brief discussion about it with a former boss, who was also a pianist.  I said something about loving the Passacaglia (the third movement) the most, and he was surprised.  He said that everyone he talked to liked that movement the least.  That stunned me.

I have loved nearly every passacaglia I have ever heard.  Maybe even all of them.  I'm not sure what it is about them....  Give me Britten's Peter Grimes.  Give me "Dido's Lament" from Purcell's Dido and Aenaes (another all time favorite).  Give them all to me.  They're wonderful.

So today, without really expecting to improvise a passacaglia,

here we go, Day 25: https://ia600702.us.archive.org/14/items/Improv9811/9_8_114_44Pm.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment