Sunday, February 5, 2012

Webs.

With not much care for football, I spent my Superbowl Sunday at a nearly empty jazz show in Brooklyn.  It kind of got me thinking, though, about training.  Maybe I've already covered this in one of my blog entries, but I'm sure that this improvised writing always flows in new directions, too.

So, Jesse's music is, for me, anyway, somewhere between improvised and composed from top to bottom.  And the parts that are influenced by classical are heavily so.  The reason I bring this up is because watching him play made me think of the way we train ourselves to play music.  I can't comment on how jazz players are trained, because I've never had any of that.  But I can say, from my years of experience as both a teacher and a student, that a lot of classical study is specifically to train muscle memory.

Now, this MUST be the case for jazz players to, in some ways.  I know that they go through scales and arpeggios and so forth as well.  But it makes me wonder if that is why I have had such a hard time getting comfortable with improvisation.  I'm having to trust my hands to play something that they've never touched before.

I remember once that I was trying to get my student to imagine a sound, and then try to make that sound.  Imagery is something I use a lot of with my students, because it's hard to describe a difference in vibration without attaching it to some kind of mood or feeling.  And, after all, why would you care if you made a color change if it didn't provoke something in us?  When her mom came in at the end of the lesson, I reviewed with her the lesson.  She said something like, "well, but how does that happen?  Doesn't it work the other way?"  Well, yeah.  To the listener.  But it's the artist's job to create that image to begin with.  If an image comes from a performance, it's not often just by chance.  I tried to explain that if a musician just works with the colors that happen to occur on their own, the palate becomes very limited... the imagination has to be engaged in order to expand beyond the possible.  I'm not sure she understood, and maybe I'm not even explaining it very well here.

Anyway, all of this I bring up, because this is, I suppose, a classical person's way of thinking.  We develop ourselves to the point where even this, even a color change on a single note, is something that we will spend hours practicing.  So that instead of conjuring static, that one tone conjures despair, or pure joy, or whatever it is we want it to convey.  And that, too, becomes part of the muscle memory.  What is improvised for us could be just having to play on a different instrument.

Someone fill me in here.  I want to know, do improvisors practice getting different colors with the same note, same articulation, same dynamic?  Or are they creating these moods and feelings more with the pitches, harmonies, and flow?  I actually don't know the answer to this, although I do have my suspicions.

What improvisors refer to as "voicing" is basically how one will invert the chord.  But for a classical player, "voicing" is which note or notes in the chord you will bring out in sound and clarity above the other tones, but without changing the written chord.  This is somehow related to what I was talking about, but I'm not sure I can put it into words right now.  My brain is beginning to ooze.  And just like that, I am seeing a really strong connection between jazz voicing, and classical voicing.  The term refers to different things, but I wonder if the effect is somewhat similar.  Hmm.  Questions for later.


And so I guess what I'm getting at ultimately is just the way the brain has to completely shift gears between improvised music and composed music.  This is something I understood when I began this project nearly six months ago, but I must be beginning to understand more thoroughly why this difference exists.  Or maybe I've just completely turned myself around.

Webs upon webs of questions and answers.

Here we go, Day 175: https://ia600802.us.archive.org/33/items/Improv2512/20120205201815.mp3

3 comments:

  1. I think all improvisers have a slightly different experience. I can only speak for myself.

    There is definitely a lot of muscle memory training in improvisation. I guess, ideally I would start as if I had never touched the instrument before. Maybe the first time a kid bangs on the keys is his/her only true improvisation But it is impossible to be there now, so I have had to go completely the other way. I have to be so proficient that I am unlimited by technique, so that I can play anything I hear instantly. At least this is the goal. The limits of one's technique can actually be a positive influence on improvisation, but that's another discussion in itself.

    Although I'd like to be pure and truly instantly composing in real time, most of what I play, even in the most "out" moments is some variation of something I've practiced before. If I'm playing bebop, especially at a fast tempo, unfortunately there's almost nothing new at all. It's just a reordering of licks, phrases, and ideas that I've practiced before, except perhaps on slow tempos. If I'm doing free improvisation, I'm often relying upon certain intervals that I like and certain harmonic structures that I know. I'm still making a lot of choices and it never is the same, but it is less improvised than I'd like to admit. I could almost say that it's just an ordering of little bits that I've practice or played many times before.

    Let's say I'm really great at a particular moment, an I've truly found something new. I think even then I'm relying on muscle memory of technique. I know more or less how the piano is going to react because of my muscle memory, even if we're talking about the executing of one note.

    I've never really thought about improvisation in this way. Thanks for asking. But If I think about it, everything we do is relying on memory, except for some very basic instinctual things. Typing this requires memory of where the letters are on the keyboard, along with what the letters mean, what the words mean, the spelling of the words, sentence structure, etc. And it doesn't seem all that different from music. As a classical pianist, I retype paragraphs over and over again. As an improviser I retype phrases or words or letters over and over again in practice. And then in performance I create a paragraph in the moment that may or may not make comprehensible sense to the listener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I do practice different "voicing" (the classical way), articulation, techniques, dynamics as well as pitches, harmony, flow, and a bunch of other things, so that they can be called upon at any time during improvisation.

    A difference is that I've had jazz training. Jazz training in the academic world is very organized and codified now. One learns to use this scale on this chord and so on, but it's mostly based on the style of a few key players in the history, and it only gets you so far. I make an effort to forget a lot of this training, but also to not forget it and keep it down there, underlying what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, thanks for your thorough and thoughtful comments, Jesse! It's really interesting to hear the other side of things in response to questions that leave me completely dumbfounded. I really appreciate it!!

      Delete