Monday, August 29, 2011

Tickles.

It was difficult to fit in some good improv time today.  I've been in Minneapolis with my parents for the past several days, and my sister, her husband, and three little ones arrived yesterday to join us.  I love the time spent with them, and it was the first time I got to see little baby Claire, who was born in mid-July.  With ages 5 weeks, 2 years, and 4 years, there isn't much time to do any personal stuff... it's all about the kids.

Joy was reading to Ana when I sat down to do my improv.  Mom held the little baby, and Toby was amusing himself with a miniature mailbox and block set.  He didn't notice at first, but it wasn't long before Toby toddled over for a peek at what was happening without him.  He climbed up onto the piano bench and forced his way under my arm and onto my lap.  He plunked out a few notes, and enjoyed the response he got from the instrument, but wanted me to play something.  Not content with what he heard, he pulled open the book of Beethoven sonatas that had sat on the music stand, and pretended to play Opus 31, No. 1.  He said, "Play!! You play!"  So I played a bit, and he was momentarily enchanted.  I turned the page, and continued into a section with some trills and long scales.  Toby giggled.  "Again!" I played it again. "AGAIN!"  He laughed and laughed.  "Where is that?" he asked.  I pointed to the place where each of the sounds could be heard.  When I turned the page, he flipped back, and said, "Play here!"  I did as I was told, and he squealed again.  "It tickles!!!" he said as he collapsed into little snickers.  I could be wrong, but I think the kid might be into music.

Here we go, Day 15: https://ia600700.us.archive.org/19/items/Improv82911/8_29_117_57Pm.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment