Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Equinox.

Spent a good portion of the evening trying to produce a cricket sound on command, something I've wanted to be able to do for a long time.  Not easy... and annoyed my cat very much in the process.  She kept screaming at me to stop whistling.  Two birds, one stone.  Ha.

So I think Saturday marks the day when I finally became unafraid of improvising.  It took 8 months.  But the last few days, I've felt so completely liberated at the piano.  I'm not sure what made it happen, but I feel really good about it... a different pianist altogether.  The improvs have gotten longer and longer, and with no extra effort.  And they don't have to be long, but it goes to show that things are free-flowing, and totally unobstructed.

And now, about chords: what was dripping into my brain the other day as I played.  The role of one pitch can go with so many chords, and all those chords mean something so different.  One note; it's always in that same place, but in the places it might fit, it could be a part of pure joy, grief, melancholy, anger, humor, confusion, contemplation... it might even be the reason that that particular chord conveys that particular meaning.  Aww, forget it.  The moment of revelation is over... I can't write about chords the way that I mean, and the way that I want to right now.  You'll have to imagine what more had passed through my mind at that special instant.

And spring equinox.  I love spring, but it has this tendency to make me uneasy.  Even though I really, really love it.  Weird, but true.

Here we go, Day 219: https://ia600802.us.archive.org/4/items/Improv32012/20120320142106.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment