Sunday, October 30, 2011

Starry night.

I'm thinking about posting a programmatic improv today.  But not telling you all what it's about.  I'm curious to know... does it work?  Would you have preferred some absolute music instead?

The story is not mine.  It belongs to my friend, Mike.  I first heard it performed in May of this past year, with cello, clarinet, and Chinese mouth organ.  I had never heard nor seen a Chinese mouth organ before this night.  Pretty beautiful sounding, if you ask me. 

Anyway, this improv put me right to sleep as I listened to it, laying on my back in the middle of the living room.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess it's a thing.

Here we go, Day 77: https://ia600704.us.archive.org/11/items/Improv103011/10_30_118_19Pm.mp3

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting concept and this improv works more or less but to my ears, it's a little static. Also, the two main motives remain very separate from each throughout....kind of like the they were intent on not acknowledging each other. Maybe that's the intent but musically maybe it would have created more interest if they intertwined at some point.

    I like the material though. The "star" motive is quite reminiscent of Messiaen and there's definitely a story going on in the left hand.

    Overall, I'd be very interested in hearing a couple more versions using the same template. Sort of like using each one as study...you know like De Kooning did....just a thought....

    ReplyDelete